A Transformative Justice Resource List
Written by Mischa Byruck
Illustration by Amandine Delauney
Published June 11, 2020
After we published the article "The Nitty-Gritty: Sexual Violence and Transformative Justice in Alternative Communities — How The Radical Justice Systems of BIPOC and Activist Communities Are Influencing the Counterculture" for Issue One of The New Modality, I asked Mischa, the author, to put together a list of resources about Transformative Justice to supplement the article (which also has many links within it). The following list is not comprehensive, and is intended only as a set of potential starting points. We hope to continue learning and working on these issues in our communities for a long time to come.
— Lydia Laurenson, editor
- TransformHarm.org. A massive and up-to-date resource destination covering Transformative Justice, Restorative Justice, and Community Accountability, featuring articles, tools, and curricula.
- Building Accountable Communities. A series of short videos on accountability by anti-violence activists Kiyomi Fujikawa and Shannon Perez-Darby.
- Several books:
- Fumbling Towards Repair: A Workbook for Community Accountability Facilitators, written by Mariame Kaba and Shira Hassan and published in 2019 by AK Press. A slim, to-the-point manual for community accountability practitioners.
- Turn this World Inside Out: The Emergence of Nurturance Culture, written by Nora Samaran and published in 2019 by AK Press. One of the best thinkers on the more subtle forms of harm, such as gaslighting and emotional manipulation.
- Beyond Survival: Strategies and Stories from the Transformative Justice Movement, edited by Ejeris Dixon and Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha and published in 2020 by AK Press. An anthology with a diverse group of authors.
- "The Opposite of Rape Culture is Nurturance Culture," by Nora Samaran. A 2016 blog post that later was extended into the book of the same name.
- "Reckoning with Violence," by Michelle Alexander in the New York Times. An opinion article on institutional restorative justice.
- "What Is and Isn't Transformative Justice, by adrienne maree brown. A 2015 blog post on on understanding the difference between transformative justice and public take-downs.
- Reid Mihalko’s Accountability Process. A detailed accounting of a sex educator’s public process (the same person whose process we covered in "The Nitty-Gritty").
- Franklin Veaux’s accountability process. A public spreadsheet with the process outline detailing the public accountability process of polyamory author Franklin Veaux (NB: Veaux did not participate in this process).
- Beautiful, Difficult, Powerful: the chrysalis collective story. A PDF of a Transformative Justice case study written by the group that went through the process together.
- Creative Interventions Toolkit. A 500-page toolkit, very well-organized, for practitioners and communities to conduct their own processes.
- Pod-Mapping. One of the foundational exercises recommended for creating a community accountability lifestyle, by the Bay Area Transformative Justice Collective.
- Assistance setting up accountability processes:
- Trainings in how to run processes are offered by:
This article was written by Mischa Byruck, a men’s coach in San Francisco. It was edited by Lydia Laurenson, editor in chief of The New Modality. There's more about our transparency process at our page about truth and transparency at The New Modality.